Theme: Start to Finish
17. How books are usually read: FRONT TO BACK.
30. How chapters in books are read: FIRST TO LAST.
46. How pages in chapters in books are read: TOP TO BOTTOM.
61. How words on pages in chapters in books are usually read: LEFT TO RIGHT.
Boomer here again.
Monday bowling team has gone from FIRST to LAST in a short time, Also
TOP to BOTTOM in the standings. Too much LEFT to RIGHT on those darn
1. Wagner’s “The Flying Dutchman,” e.g.: OPERA. I never sang OPERA. Not a fan either.
6. Bumbling: INEPT. Did I mention those darn ten pins ?
11. Frisk, as a suspect, with “down”: PAT. Kansas City Quarterback PATrick Mahomes also does commercials for State Farm in his spare time. Aaron Rodgers also.
14. Sharpen the image in the viewfinder: FOCUS.
15. Give a recap: SUM UP.
16. Grow older: AGE. It happens to all of us.
19. Tide competitor: ERA. I think TIDE wins.
20. Gaming novice, in slang: NOOB. Newbie.
21. Snuggles: NESTLES. N_E_S_T_L_E_S, Nestles makes the very best … Chocolate.
23. Quite: VERY.
26. Female rodent, to Fernando: RATA. Spanish for “rat”. RATA TAT TAT
28. Out of the wind: ALEE.
29. Fútbol cheer: OLE. Also a butt of many Minnesota Jokes with his buddy SVEN.
33. Frisbee company: WHAMO. I owned one of these once but never got very good at it.
35. New Hampshire college town that sounds peachy: KEENE.
36. Akin: SIMILAR.
39. Sign-lettering aid: STENCIL. It won’t be long before campaign signs start appearing on lawns. Our townhome association does not permit them. Yay!
43. __ Says: imitation game: SIMON. Art’s buddy Paul.
45. Arcade pioneer: ATARI. I had one for my old Compaq. Played it too much I admit.
51. Western omelet meat: HAM. Of course we had Turkey for dinner last Thursday, and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I think we’ll go for HAM for Christmas.
52. Mayberry boy: OPIE. Ronny Howard went on to a pretty great career.
53. “__ she blows!”: THAR.
54. The “A” in A.D.: ANNO. Year of our Lord.
55. Numbs: DEADENS.
58. Old fast fliers: Abbr.: SSTS. Super Sonic Transports. I never rode in one.
60. __ Arbor, Michigan: ANN. Home of Big Ten powerhouse
University of Michigan. Took care of Ohio State on Saturday. Then our
Gophers upset the Wisconsin Badgers!
66. Uruguay uncle: TIO.
67. Actress Demi: MOORE.
68. “Farewell, mon ami”: ADIEU. ADIEU, my friend Adieu. I’ll hang my heart on the weeping willow tree, and may the world go well with thee!
69. UFO pilots: ETS.
70. No right __: road sign: ON RED. We have a few in Minnesota.
71. Intended: MEANT.
1. “We’re __ to See the Wizard”: OFF. That great movie was on again last week on TBS. Hats off to Judy Garland from Grand Rapids MINNESOTA ! (not Michigan).
2. Iberian land: Abbr.: POR. Portugal.
3. Environmentalist’s prefix: ECO.
4. Like undercooked eggs: RUNNY. If served at Easter are they RUNNY Bunnies??
5. Regarding: AS TO.
6. Weather map line: ISOBAR.
7. Worn-down pencil: NUB. I never wore one down that far. Pencils are cheap.
8. Comes out of, as a scent from blossoms: EMANATES. Sun in the morning.
9. Brownish purple: PUCE. I could talk about a Purple Jersey
football team but I’ll leave it alone. Last week our pastor said he
was a Green Bay Packer owner. They issue shares of stock. However,
after last Sunday when the Vikings squeaked one out, this Sunday the
pastor told us he was wearing purple vestments because it was Advent and
not because of football.
10. Toll rds. often named for states: TPKS. Got me. We have no Toll Roads in Minnesota. But our state charges a lot for license plates.
11. Spanish rice dish: PAELLA. Add a “T” and you have a kneecap.
12. Goes along (with): AGREES.
13. Service with cups and saucers: TEA SET. All my sisters had one of these in days gone by.
18. Pop singer Amos: TORI. Torii Hunter, who played for the Twins, has an extra I.
22. “America’s Got __”: TALENT. I think it’s fixed. They never asked me to go on.
23. Swears: VOWS. I guess I’ve made a few VOWS on the Golf Course.
24. K-12, for short: EL HI.
25. Paper purchase: REAM. 500 sheets.
27. “Naughty, naughty!”: TSK.
30. Manuscript sheet: FOLIO.
31. Vietnamese New Year: TET. A Nasty attack from the North Vietnam on the South, back around 1968.
32. Wee hour: ONE AM.
34. Lightly sprayed: MISTED.
37. Embassy rep.: AMB. Ambassador.
38. Cheers on: ROOTS FOR. Of course I tirelessly ROOT FOR the Vikings and Gophers every week. I gave up on the Twins last summer.
40. “Let It Snow” lyricist: CAHN. Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne.
41. Tehran’s land: IRAN.
42. “Stretch” vehicle: LIMO. Never rode in one. My Santa Fe is just fine, thank you.
44. Extreme degree: NTH.
46. Until now: TO DATE.
47. Gift giver’s cry: OPEN IT. This will be coming next month with cards and presents.
48. Steinways, e.g.: PIANOS.
49. Sampled, as food: TASTED.
50. Approximately: OR SO.
54. “All kidding __ … “: ASIDE. Sorry, I never put it aside.
56. Red Muppet: ELMO. Tickle Me.
57. Brightly colored: NEON. We visited the Mall of America last
week. Indoor stores with many NEON signs. Then the local news showed
MSP Airport on TV. Looked like Mall of America without the stores.
59. Ore carrier: TRAM.
62. Luigi’s three: TRE.
63. Supermodel Carangi: GIA. Sorry, I have never heard of her.
64. Barnyard layer: HEN. But I have heard of her.
65. Boy king: TUT.
#Monday #November #Kurt #Krauss